Monday, February 15, 2016

Cancerversary-Year 3

Here we are again! I'm so very thankful that this past year gave me no reason to update the blog. It was truly another beautiful year filled with so many great memories.

This past year I started a new cancer therapy. I switched from Tamoxifen to Exemestane. Recently, results of a study were published that showed that for premenopausal women whose cancer warranted chemotherapy, the disease free survival is better if those women are put into menopause either surgically or chemically, and then given an Aromatase inhibitor instead of tamoxifen. Since I was already in chemical menopause thanks to the Zoladex shot I was getting monthly, I decided to go for it. I started the exemestane in May and the adjustment was hard to say the least. My muscles and joints were very painful, my hair was falling out, and I had a short(er) fuse than normal. I almost quit. My oncologist said I had her blessing to quit and go back to Tamoxifen. But I kept going and I'm pleased that I have seemed to adjust and pretty much feel back to the (new) normal.

In October I got my oncologists blessing to have my ovaries removed and then discussed that surgery with my OBGYN. We scheduled it for January 22nd and my mind was absolutely blown that an invasive surgery like that where they remove my ovaries and Fallopian tubes, was so crazy quick. I went back at 7:20 am and at 8:00 am my doc was telling Eric I was in recovery. I looked at the clock at 8:30 am! I underestimated the recovery but turned a big corner 1 week after my surgery and now I'm feeling almost 100% again. I've returned to my workouts which was my biggest concern and my strength is almost what it was prior to surgery. Praise God, my ovaries and tubes were also free of cancer!

So that's the latest in my cancer story and I can't believe it has been 3 years.  This is a peak time for cancer to recur so there's constantly that voice in my head reminding me that my current "cancer free" life could change at any time. I'm just getting better at silencing it. Trying to keep my mind and body as healthy as possible has made me feel more in control of a situation that I know I can't control. But today I feel good and strong and healthy and that's all any of us can ask for, right?

Thank you again for all your prayers, well wishes, good vibes, and hope for my health. I feel it, and need it. Lets not talk again until next year, ok? ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment